Picazzo’s gets creative with their ingredients to bring you pizza, pasta, salads, hot dishes and desserts that are safe and delicious. You no longer have to imagine what certain foods taste like, because they’ve identified and/or eliminated the 8 most common food allergens on their menu, while enhancing the taste or texture you love!
A food allergy occurs when the immune system produces an antibody in response to the protein in specific foods. Exposure to the food in even the tiniest amounts can produce immediate or delayed symptoms; some may be merely uncomfortable (hives, eczema, stomach upset, sinus problems) while others are life threatening (swelling of the tongue, closing of the throat). Food elimination diets, blood and/or lab tests are used as a part of the diagnosis.
A food intolerance happens when eating a certain food triggers a negative physiological response, but the immune system is not affected in the same way. Symptoms may take up to three days to kick in, making food intolerances very difficult to diagnose. Elimination diets and specialty tests are the most common methods for diagnosis. While not life-threatening, symptoms can be severe and range from gastrointestinal distress, headache and chronic fatigue.
The eight most common food allergens in the United States, as declared by the FDA :
- Wheat: Picazzo’s is completely Gluten-free with the exception of two pizza crust options. We have a dedicated Gluten-free stone deck oven.
- Dairy: Picazzo’s uses organic milk, cheeses that are Rbst, antibiotic and hormone-free. We also provide a non-dairy cheese substitute product-Daiya.
- Peanuts: The Thai peanut dishes contain peanuts.
- Tree nuts: Picazzo’s uses tree nuts in certain dishes, but they can be requested to be eliminated.
- Egg: Picazzo’s offers a brown rice penne pasta free from egg.
- Soybeans: Picazzo’s utilizes gluten-free soy.
- Fish: Picazzo’s does not offer fish on the menu.
- Shellfish: Picazzo’s offers shrimp on a few menu items, but it can be substituted for chicken or vegan chicken or eliminated completely.
In addition, Picazzo’s offers a nutrient- and flavor-rich grain alternative, Quinoa Bowls.
- Super Quinoa Bowl
- NEW Italian Caprese
- NEW Kale Pesto
- Spicy Thai Peanut (peanuts)
To Picazzo’s, being allergy-friendly doesn’t mean giving up your favorite foods like pizza, pasta and desserts. It just means we put a little extra thought and love into creating them safely.
All eight common allergens are identified on the Picazzo’s Organic Italian Kitchen website. Scroll to Nutritionals and Allergens and hover your mouse over the following categories and click for the menu items that include/exclude the identified allergens:
- SMALL PLATES
- QUINOA BOWLS
- ORGANIC VEGGIES
- RAV & GNOCCHI
- HOT COMFORT DISHES
- KIDS MENU
Picazzo’s Organic Italian Kitchen is committed to provide our Arizona community clean, allergen-free food where people and families can gather and dine safely and enjoy amazing food together.
Dine with Picazzo’s Organic Italian Kitchen in Flagstaff, Sedona, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley/Phoenix, and Tempe/Chandler. Hours of operation and locations can be found here: http://www.picazzos.com/#locations